An exciting event is coming your way!
Join myself and fellow law students on a tour of Parliament House and the Supreme Court of Queensland with the College of Law providing us an epic lunch along the way!
1. Parliament House
Enhance your knowledge and understanding of the process of Parliament and our unique Government in Queensland. Included is:
- A tour of Parliament House;
- An introduction to Parliament and Government, including an explanation of the separation of powers;
- An address by a member of Parliament (subject to availability on the day); and
- DVD clips to bring the legislative process to life.
Should we also have sufficient numbers attending the tour, role plays will be offered that demonstrate:
- The passage of a Bill through the Legislative Assembly;
- A mock election using the preferential voting method; and
- A role play of a Parliamentary Committee of inquiry.
Find out more: https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/
2. The College of Law
The College of Law has very generously offered to host us for lunch! Pizza will be on the menu as will a presentation about the College and PLT (practical legal training) programs. The College of Law aims to support lawyers in their careers through professional development and post graduate programs. This is a fabulous opportunity to meet with those qualified to assist you with your pre-admission requirements.
Find out more: https://www.collaw.edu.au/
3. Supreme Court of Queensland
Take a visit to where quite a number of you will eventually stand seeking admission as a lawyer in Queensland! The Supreme Court Library has provided the following to us on the day:
- A guided tour of the Supreme Court of Queensland;
- A guided tour of the Sir Harry Gibbs Legal Heritage Centre; and
- The opportunity to view a criminal trial or sentencing (subject to availability on the day).
Find out more: https://www.courts.qld.gov.au/
Date: Tuesday, 14th August 2018
Time: Meet at the Parliamentary Annexe on Alice Street at 9:00am
RSVP: Danielle at email@example.com. Please let me know if you would only like to attend one of the tours.
Cost: FREE for USQLS Members
ID: You MUST bring a government issued ID (e.g. drivers license, passport)
Dietary requirements: Please let me know if you require any special consideration regarding lunch provisions (e.g. vegan, gluten free etc)
Transport: Transport is not provided however trains are available into Central Station and Parliament House is only a short walk (1.3kms) from the station. There are also buses available. Visit www.translink.com.au to plan your journey.
1. Parliament: 9:15am to 10:15am. Depart 10:30am
- Short walk to the College of Law (15 mins)
2. College of Law: 11:00am to 1:30pm. Depart 1:45pm
- short walk to the Supreme Court of Queensland (10 mins).
3. Supreme Court: 2:00pm to 4:30pm.
NB: Students have the option to depart at 3:00pm after the tour if they do not wish to sit in on a trial.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Education and Careers Officer
USQ Law Society