Nominations for the 2021 Executive and Officer positions open on…21 September 2020
The USQ Law Society holds its annual elections during the second semester of each year and will complete them at least two weeks before the examination period. Official handover occurs at the end of year Law Ball.
The procedure for the election of the USQLS Executive which includes the President, Secretary, Treasurer, Vice-President Toowoomba, Vice-President Ipswich, Vice-President External, Vice-President Competitions, Vice-President Law Review, Vice-President Education & Careers and Vice-President Administration is as follows:
- The incumbent Secretary announces the election to the members of the Society and calls for applications to fill the positions;
- Potential Candidates submit their applications to the Secretary and have ten working days from the announcement to submit their applications;
- The incumbent Executive will then select eligible candidates according to the requirements and provisions set out in Chapter 2 of the Constitution;
- The Secretary will then announce the successful applicants and set an election date not more than one week from the date of the announcement;
- The Secretary will open the voting for 48 hours and the votes will be counted once voting has closed by the Secretary and two other Members not running for an Executive Council position;
- Eligible voting Members may vote prior to the final date of the election period.
The voting process is subject to the following provisions:
a. Only Standard current members of the USQLS can vote;
b. To be elected, an individual must receive at least a simple majority of votes counted.
The procedure for the appointment of Officers is as follows:
- The incumbent Secretary announces the positions to be filled to the Members of the USQLS and calls for applications to fill the positions;
- Potential Candidates submit their applications to the Secretary within ten working days of the announcement;
- The Executive Council will select eligible candidates and appoint Officers by a majority vote according to the requirements and provisions set out in Chapter 3 and 4 of the Constitution;
- The Secretary will then announce the successful applicants;
- In the event of there being no expressions of interest, the President may fill an Officer position by appointment following an appropriate consultation process.
If you would like to apply for a position, you can find the role descriptions and eligibility criteria in the constitution.
If you would like to apply for an Officer position, you can find the role descriptions in the Officer Position Policy.
If you would like to nominate for an Executive position use the Executive application form.
If you would like to nominate for an Officer position use the Officer application form.